Goodyear Homes School, as it was first called, opened in the fall of 1943. It was built during World War II to accommodate the many people who had come to work in the Brunswick shipyards. School year 1944-45 brought peak enrollment and double sessions; but with the war's end and the closing of the shipyards, enrollment dropped to 172. As residential growth in the area later increased, so did school enrollment.
Physically, the school grew from its original structure by adding wings in 1962 and 1964, the media center in 1973, and the gym and portable classrooms were added in 1991-92. In the summer of 1997, the existing buildings were torn down, with the exception of the gym, in order for a new Goodyear Elementary School to be built on the original site.
For two years, 1997-99, Goodyear was temporarily located at the corner of Norwich and Fourth Streets. In the fall of 1999, Goodyear returned to its original site in a new building with a new address, 3000 Roxboro Road.